Thursday, January 15, 2009

'Wasting Away'










  • "Hello Gorgeous, why isn’t there a ring on that finger yet?”
  • “You need to get out more!”
  • “I know someone who is rich and handsome for you, too bad he’s married”
  • “Hey, I know.. we can join a gym.. I’m SURE you can find a guy there”
  • “Did you see that guys eyes? He’s handsome.. I’m gonna go talk to him for you, I’ll let you know if he’s single”
  • “What is wrong with you girl? It’s like you’re just wasting away.”
  • “I have two guys in mind for you”
  • “Don’t you worry, some day, the right one will come along”

I think I was doing ok until I realized that 50% of all conversations I have with this person and the next are all about me being single and needing to find someone. Literally 10 minutes ago my boss and his friend stopped by my office to tell me I need to find someone and they are on the hunt to help me out! After deciding that I need someone rich that owns land, they left to their meeting.. On their way out they decide to burst through my door and ask what height I prefer.. not knowing I have customers in my office who are looking at me completely confused. I tell them.. those are my wonderful bosses who have decided that it’s time I find someone. After a few chuckles back and forth about how embarrassing it is, they leave. Only to return 30 seconds later and open my door by saying “make sure its not a blind date, ALWAYS see the guy first”.. with a face the color of a tomato I laugh and say, “I hear ya on that” and they leave again.. for 45 seconds and my door opens again .. “theres some construction workers across the street, have you checked them out yet?” Mind you, these are complete strangers.

“God willing, some day, a nice man will come into your life.” A phrase my Dad has gotten pretty use to telling me over the last 3 years. It kinda makes me feel like im part of the statistic that casts a title on divorced people.. as if we really ARE wasting away by being alone. Maybe it’s time to start opening my eyes again. Maybe people should understand that life IS ok by yourself. Maybe life would be better if I were to find someone. Maybe life would turn upside down again by meeting the wrong someone.

Maybe I’ll just continue the funny conversations people have with me about this… Who knows. But for now, I want you to know.. I’m O.K. I know it’s hard to believe, but I am. I’m O.K.



I think.







7 comments:

Bre said...

This was a great post Melissa! I think that it is possible for one to be happy alone. But, at the same time, I think that someone will eventually come your way when you least expect it. But there is no point in rushing things, what's meant to be will find its way! So you keep being a kick ass mom and a wonderful friend until then. You are just FINE on your own! And also, I am glad you dont just settle for any joe blow that comes your way! :]

P.S. I dont know if this made sense, but I meant everything in a GOOD way! lol

Melissa said...

LOL Thank you Bre!

Porter said...

Blah
Try being single for the last decade.
My mother thinks I hate her!
Won't give her grandkids, a daughter in law, etc etc etc.
I hate the blind set ups:
Friends invite me over for dinner or out to a movie and they bring along another single friend.
I can't even leave the house any more.
It's getting to be harder to stay single than it was not being single.
God, don't get me going on this topic.
Our "non-single" family and friends just don't understand.

Melissa said...

lol Quit trying to hard to stay single Tye! What is wrong with you!?!?

Carrie Lynne said...

Melissa, I have spent the last two years alone. Alone does not equal lonely. I enjoy the company of me. I have a great group of girlfriends that I hang out with, we do Gym, go for coffee, dinner and drinks.I have found that once you are ready "it" will happen. I have decided to never settle or to compromise myself for a man. Take this time to know who you are and what you want. Please keep writing and posting, you will find yourself there.

Carrie Lynne said...

I feel for you. I get the same thing from family and friends. I am perfectly happy living my life single. I have so many interests that keep me busy. If I want to eat a bag of popcorn and call it dinner so be it. LOL People tend to think being alone = lonely. Not so. You will meet someone when you least expect it, as I just have. Trust me it will happen in God's time.

Porter said...

AMEN@Carrie Lynn